Friday, May 21, 2010

Off to the West Day #2





Well, after a refreshing night of sleep at our cozy hostile that smelled like burnt broccoli, we drove to Glastonbury. Here we saw the supposed burial place of King Arthur and Guinnevere. I was really disappointed to find out that most of the things we have heard about King Arthur are false and pretty much created for entertainment. As Katherine Heigl says in 27 Dresses,


“I feel like I just found out my favorite love song was written about a sandwich.”


A monk guided us around the Glastonbury Cathedral ruins and told us about different saints that were associated with the cathedral. We snuck off from the group for a few minutes when they went into the kitchen and frolicked in a little garden and orchard for a few.





Afterwards we walked through the town to walk up towards the Tor, a tower on top of the hill in the town. As we walked through the town we quickly realized what an... interesting(?)...place it was. There were shops all over with names like

Little Imp

&

Speaking Tree.



And they weren’t cool witch shops like you might see in Harry Potter.

These were slightly scary witch shops that were your straight-up black cauldron, lady with long scraggly hair, long black dress, warty witch shops. I was scared to take a picture of this car out of fear that the witch that owned it would curse me for defiling her possession.



We took a hike up to the top of the Tor, which turned out to be a lot more steep than any of us expected.


The view from the top was INCREDIBLE!!

After we finished taking pictures it started to rain (talk about good timing, maybe the witch actually cursed us with good timing for taking a picture of her car because she knew it would make it onto our sweet blog) so we journeyed back down in the rain.



Afterwards we drove to Ilfracombe, an awesome coastal town loaded with lurking teenaged boys.

I have no idea why this was, but I hardly saw any adults or girls while we were out.


All of us were overcome with glad tidings of great joy as the ocean came into view on the bus. We had some of the best Italian food I’ve ever had at a restaurant that night and journeyed up onto the small cliffs for some epic pics!





Later that night Staley serenaded the group in the common room at the hostile and we all got in bed early again. I had a hard time falling asleep with the rugman in the back of my head.

Rugman ran the hostile where we stayed.

He acquired this name because of his hair, which is one (yes, one GIANT) dreadlock that ran all the way down his back. It looked more like a beaver tail to me.



It was hard falling asleep knowing that he had probably made my bed. I couldn’t help but wonder what kind of critters were in bed with me.

Mom, you would’ve died haha


-Claire


No comments:

Post a Comment